Magical Vacation

Friday, August 12, 2011

Mary Poppins




I had the great opportunity to go see Mary Poppins at the San Diego Civic Theater last night. I’ve been to more than a few shows at the Civic Theater so I had an idea of what to expect compared to shows in Los Angeles and Las Vegas. I must say I was surprised at how impressed I was by the production. The sets and props were nothing short of amazing. When I took a closer look at my Playbill I soon found out why; it’s produced by none other than Disney and Cameron Mackintosh who produced some my most favorite musical of all time – Miss Saigon!

The show pretty much follows the storyline of the classic Disney Movie and included songs everyone knows such as Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!, A Spoon Full of Sugar, Step in Time, and Chim Chim Cher-ee. There were a lot of kids in the audience since it is a children’s story but parents, when your kid is crying and yelling bloody murder, please take them outside so as to let the other patrons enjoy the show without disruption. I’m all for exposing children to the arts early but there has to be a line drawn.

I was impressed with the cast. Everyone was on point with their singing and dancing on stage. It was an indeed a very enjoyable night. With that I leave you with a clip from the Broadway cast singing and dancing to Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!



No comments:

Post a Comment